Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Improvisational



I've not liked improvisational jazz much. I like a little, but if it gets too random, I stop listening. I want a bit of a melody line. It needs to resolve or it becomes musical chaos on key.
Ironically, I appreciate alot of abstract paintings that can look very chaotic. What appeals to me are the colors and how balanced the work is in design. If there is some emotion it also illicits, that's good too. But, some things just grab me and I can't explain why.
The impressionists had perhaps my favorite artistic style. They veered from the realistic, ad libbed the scenes and came up with great compositions. But they didn't go too far from the tune.
Minimalists, however are not on my like list. Their work looks to me like visual intellectualism. I find it dull, flat and boring. All head and no heart, like playing an uncomplicted melody over and over.
I was working on a drawing from a photo the other day and could not get a feel for it. The pose was just that, a pose. It looked stiff. I got frustrated and ended up with what I've drawn. It's a departure from what I usually do but I like it for some reason. I guess it's because it's improvisational. A bit of a jazz face.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just nodding my head through your whole post. Yup, me too. Yup, me too.

DD said...

I think we artists have to be true to what feels right to us. I like to paint in different styles just for the heck of it, but if it's not my style, it can look forced. Whatever you like doing IS your style, that's the way I look at it.

Pierre said...

Thank you both for stopping by.

Cafe Pasadena said...

Merriest Christmas to you, Pierre!!

I hope one of the female bloggers got you some new BVD's for Christmas. I assume they wood know your size.

Pierre said...

Thanks and the same to you plus a Happy New Year!

I didn't get any BVD's but I didn't drop any hints for them.

Ken Mac said...

hi Pierre, Thanks for checking in and asking. I feel great and am doing well. All the best!