Wednesday, August 4, 2010

On Drinking



I remember going to a college kegger once and arriving a bit late. As I surveyed the crowd, a friend came up and called someone over for an introduction.  I noticed as the guy walked toward us that he'd been at the pump a number of times. We shook hands, he smiled and immediately puked on me. Shy and self conscious as I was, I thought I might have been the cause. However, since no one had ever blown chips on me after meeting, I figured it was him, not me.

I don't like drunks throwing up on me or throwing up as I watch. Something comes over me and I want to actively join them. Maybe pubs and bars should have those little bags they use on airplanes. They could hand them out to those who've had too much just in case. I think I could handle seeing somebody fill one up. I would think it a courteous thing to do. I'd look away after though. They might spill.

I went to alot of keggers and parties during my stint at the institution of learning and did my share of imbibing. I have a strong stomach and rarely empty it the wrong way, but when I did in those days, it was always private. Puking in public is embarrassing.

I didn't do alot of drinking after I was married and now hardly at all. I can feel a bit foggy the day after and at my age, I don't need some of my brain cells misfiring. However, I really like wine, and if ever I meet a bullfrog named Jeremiah, I'd split a bottle with him. I'm certain I wouldn't puke.

4 comments:

Jean Spitzer said...

I love the photo; where were you?

Never spent enough time around heavy drinkers to have one throw up on me. It's a lack I don't regret.

Pierre said...

I took the photo in a pub in Lewes, England. I had the water. The wine was Susan's.

Anonymous said...

I, too, like the photo. Funny, with all my disreputable stories, none involved puking. Ok, maybe one...

Banjo52 said...

I like the photo and the writing. So much dumbness we can look back on . . .