Monday, October 25, 2010

Old Friends

This didn't copy well into digital but here it is anyway. I've grown tired of it. There's more to do to it but I'm done, at least for now. I know it looks like they're floating on a hover bench. Maybe I'll fix it later. Click on it to get a better view. Size: 18" X 23.5"
I was wandering around Trafalgar Square about this time last year when I saw them. I had to take their photo but wasn't sneaky enough to not be noticed by one of them. I kept thinking of Paul Simon's "Old Friends" as I worked on it. You can hear it here.

7 comments:

Jean Spitzer said...

Quite a group. Reminds me of some fellows sitting in front of an Armenian bakery in Glendale. I photographed them last winter with the intention of painting them later. Maybe I will, at some point. (They didn't spot me because I was behind them, in the bakery.)

The drawing is beautiful and wonderfully detailed an specific.

Pierre said...

Thanks Jean, your comments always encourage.

Anonymous said...

I have a picture (not mine, you'll be happy to know), that blends quite well with your wonderful drawing. Give me a couple of days to find the link. You'll like the photographer, he's a charming man from Italy. I think you have a lot in common.

Banjo52 said...

Oh, man, the stories these guys could tell, I bet.

I have no training in art, Pierre, but it seems to me you're awfully self-critical. These guys are VERY life-like and seem pretty completely developed as characters. I really like this.

Pierre said...

Thanks Banjo,
This "sketch" took me over 40 hours and my comment was regarding that. I was just tired of working on it. The drawing needs some background to anchor the guys. I haven't decided if I want to complete it though.

Anonymous said...

I think you must.

Ester Wilson said...

I love this drawing!