Thursday, April 7, 2011

C'est La Vie


I've never figured out why one of those wagon trains traveling to Shangrila out West stopped here in good 'ol Phoenix. "Yo, circle the wagons folks. There's a little water here, it's hotter 'n Hell and they aint much ta eat. Keep them hankies on yer faces sos the dust don't choke ya. This is it!" Probably too much loco weed.

Phoenix was recently voted the most miserable place to live. The criteria was based on gas prices and unemployment.  Am I miserable? Not today. I'm retired and my cars get good mileage. The weather is perfect. The Sun is shining, there's a breeze from the South, the trees and flowers are in bloom, and there's a taste of pollen in the air with a hint of air pollution. Not too bad.

Suffering and discomfort await though. In a short few months the Sun will blast with photon torpedoes, what little green we have will fade and brows will bead. Air conditioners will burn dollars to cool and filter dust and all will long for an oasis. So if you're alone and miserable in some other location in the world, come to Phoenix this Summer, you'll have lots of company.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you made me think of this, from Lawrence of Arabia:

Prince Feisal: No Arab loves the desert. We love water and green trees. There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing.

Pierre said...

I can think of nothing that attracts me here except family. Give me rain!

Thoughts for the day said...

Pierre we have had rain and rain and cool damp weather now for at least 6 months with one or two sunny days. It is a bit dreary but I still love Yamhill county and would never move. take care