Sunday, November 20, 2011

Al Dente


One of the personality traits of someone raised in a family where alcoholism ruled is the tendency not to finish projects. My dad often said I had a grasshopper mind. True. My brain is on scan most of the time and I my interests vary greatly. Lately, art has been low on the list and is perhaps the reason why I haven't posted much over the last months. The drawing has been on my board for quite a while. I've added a line here and there when the mood grabbed but now am done with it. If you want, I could say that it's state is to represent the reality of relationship. We communicate with someone's face. What we feel is expressed by our visage. We generally remember a person's face before any other characteristic about them. So I have drawn with detail all that is important about the people.

Artistic intellectualism. Bleah. It's just unfinished.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took little to heart from my writing classes in college. But I remember one prof who said, "Start with the hands. If you want to write about your father, tell me about his hands."

It seemed profound at the time; maybe it was only a cliche. Maybe lots of stories have started that way. But I look at my own, and they've always been the most used and abused and necessary part of my body.

Pierre said...

I had been thinking of illustrating hands as well. Interesting you should mention them. Yes, they're pretty important.
I saw a portrait of Emily Carr in Victoria, a Canadian artist, drawn by her niece. There was fine detail in just the face and hands, all else was line. It still sticks in my mind as one of the best portraits I've seen.